Pittsburgh District NYI Ministry Plan
Mission: “Calling our generation to a dynamic life in Christ”
810.206 Ministry Focus
1. The traditional ministry focus of the district NYI is to youth grades 7-12th, college/university students, and young adults.
A District NYI Council may modify the ministry focus as seen fit, with the approval of the district superintendent and District Advisory Board.
2. For the purposes of representation and programming, the District NYI Council establishes age divisions according to youth ministry needs on the district.
The district NYI develops and implements a variety of ongoing ministries and special events to reach young people for Christ.
The district NYI develops and implements a variety of ongoing ministries and special events to nurture and challenge young people to grow as disciples of Christ in personal devotion, worship, fellowship, ministry, and leading others to Christ.
810.202 Leadership Development
The district NYI develops and implements a variety of ongoing ministries and special events to mentor and equip young people to be leaders for Christ and His church.
810.213 NYI Council Responsibilities
1. The District NYI Council is responsible for planning and organizing the total ministry for youth within the district and, through its officers and directors, initiates and directs ministries and activities to reach young people for Christ and to respond to their spiritual growth needs, in harmony with district leadership.
2. The District NYI Council defines the ministry focus of district NYI in response to district youth ministry needs and develops and assigns titles and responsibilities for district NYI ministry directors.
3. The District NYI Council encourages and equips local churches across the district for effective youth ministry.
4. The District NYI Council gives leadership to the youth area of the district Sunday School by promoting growth in enrollment and attendance for youth and by providing training for youth Sunday School teachers and leaders in cooperation with the District Sunday School Ministries Board.
5. The District NYI Council promotes regional and global NYI ministries and programs to local NYI groups.
6. The District NYI Council makes recommendations to the District NYI Convention concerning the ministry of NYI. The convention may revise these recommendations prior to adoption.
7. The District NYI Council establishes and communicates the process for amending the district ministry plan.
810.217 District NYI Meetings
1. A variety of district NYI gatherings help provide effective ministry to young people.
2. The district NYI also encourages and enhances local NYI ministry by meeting with local NYI groups across the district to resource them for effective ministry.
3. The district NYI participates in regional and global NYI gatherings that further enhance effective youth ministry across the district.
1. The officers of the district NYI are the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
1. The NYI Executive Committee consists of elected district NYI officers, the district superintendent and/or district youth pastor.
All actions of the Executive Committee are communicated to the remaining members of the council and are subject to the approval of the entire council at its next meeting.
1. The District NYI Council is composed of the officers of the district NYI, other elected or appointed youth members -at- large and ministry leaders as deemed necessary by the council, and the district superintendent and/or district youth pastor.
2. Only NYI members who are members of the Church of the Nazarene on the district may serve as District NYI Council members.
2. A district NYI Nominating Committee nominates the officers of the district NYI. The nominating committee is appointed by the District NYI Council and consists of at least four district NYI members *(this must include at least 2 members of NYI outside of the current District NYI Council), and also includes the district superintendent and the district NYI president. All nominees must be approved by the District NYI Council and district superintendent.
3. Officers are then elected by ballot by majority vote at the annual NYI Convention. When there is only one nominee for a position, a “yes” and “no” ballot is used, with approval by two-thirds vote.
3A. The District NYI Council will appoint the District NYI treasurer.
4. The District NYI Council (has the authority) to appoint district ministry directors.
4a. The District NYI Council by two-thirds majority vote if there is one nominee or by majority vote if two or more nominees.
4b. The organizational meeting is to take place immediately following the District NYI Convention. Appointed positions may be made by the sitting council prior to the convention, however, any open positions are to be appointed within 45 days of the end of convention.
810.219 District NYI Convention
2. The District NYI Council arranges for and oversees the District NYI Convention, in cooperation with the district superintendent. The Convention convenes at a time and place designated by the District NYI Council, with the approval of the district superintendent and within ninety days of the District Assembly.
3. The District NYI Convention is composed of the members of the District NYI Council, the district superintendent, local pastors, other assigned ordained ministers of the district who participate in NYI ministry, and local NYI delegates.
4. All local NYI delegates to the District NYI Convention must be members of the Church of the Nazarene that they represent.
810.209 Individual Council Member Responsibilities
1. The responsibilities of the district NYI president include:
a. Giving leadership and direction to district NYI, working in cooperation with NYI and
b. Chairing the District NYI Council to cast a vision for youth ministry on the district.
c. Facilitating the development of youth ministry on the district and working with the District NYI Council to define the district NYI ministry focus according to needs.
d. Presiding at the District NYI Convention.
e. Encouraging the development of NYI ministry in each local church within the district.
f. Representing the interests of NYI on all appropriate district boards and committees.
g. Submitting an annual report to the District NYI Convention and District Assembly.
h. Presenting an annual budget to the District Finance Committee (or appropriate district body) and to the District NYI Convention for approval.
i. Serving as a delegate to the Global NYI Convention. Should the president be unable to attend, a representative elected by the District NYI Council and approved by district superintendent and district advisory board may provide alternate representation.
j. Serving as a member of the Regional NYI Council, if so designated by the ministry plan of the region.
2. The responsibilities of the vice president include:
a. Cooperating with the president in every way possible to carry out effective youth ministry on the district.
b. Performing the duties of the president in his/her absence.
c. Carrying out other duties as assigned by the District NYI Council and Convention.
d. In case of a vacancy in the office of district NYI president, fulfilling the functions of president until a successor is elected and installed.
3. The responsibilities of the secretary include:
a. Keeping a correct record of all the proceedings of the District NYI Council, the Executive Committee, and the District NYI Convention.
b. Attending to all matters of correspondence for the district NYI.
c. Notifying the global NYI Office and regional NYI chair of the names and addresses of the various district NYI officers and ministry directors as soon as possible after election.
d. Carrying out other duties as assigned by the District NYI Council and Convention.
4. The responsibilities of the treasurer include:
a. Disbursing, receiving, and keeping record of district NYI funds.
b. Compiling an annual financial report of all moneys raised and disbursed to submit to the annual District NYI Convention.
c. Working with the president (and finance committee) to create an annual budget to present to the appropriate bodies.
d. To have the treasurer’s books audited annually by an outside auditor.
e. Submit financial reports at each NYI Council meeting, which should include a comparison of what expenses/income vs. the budget.
5. Other responsibilities may be assigned to officers according to district youth ministry needs.
- This District Ministry Plan was approved at the May 17, 2003 District NYI Convention.
- Revision to 810.212 Elections, 4b was approved by NYI Convention June 14, 2014.
- Reviewed and modified according to Nazarene Manual 2013-2017, Nov 6, 2014.
- Added any excerpts from Manual, including our mission.
- * Added 810.208 Elections, clause that states (this must include at least 2 members of NYI outside of the current District NYI Council),
- **Added 810.209 letter “e” under treasurer.
- NYI Ministry to be submitted and approved at 2015 NYI Convention.
- Revision to 810.207, dividing the President role into two, Executive President and President of Ministry, approved by NYI Convention May 13,2017
- Revision to 810.207, Return President role original one person position , approved by NYI